A quick summary about what happened in the past weeks. After I wrote an email to a few former assemblers and I got some great responses and most of all loved the idea to bring assembly back to life. But it turned out a bit more complicated as I thought, even if its Opensource. After a few developers tried without any luck, I meet the guys from roobykon and they were willing to set-up the assembly meta site with the backend on a Digital Ocean droplet. The goal is, setting up the “old” assembly version 1 with chat, before the transition to changelog began. It’s not just a very complex endeavor, because most of the dependencies are services that are shut down as well, like Landline, Readraptor, Firesize, Coins, not to mention all the other services like, Mailgun, Mixpanel, Segment, Sidekiq and Bugsnap, it´s also difficult because of the wide range of programming languages used in the stack. A Pusher service, which alone costs about 49 $ per month, needs to be replaced with a self- hostable alternative called Garufa , a websocket server compatible with the Pusher protocol.

The backend is mostly written in Ruby on Rails, but some stuff is written in GOlang, Python, and even Nodejs, while the front-end is written in React. We are still struggling with the API part and some naming conventions, but guess we will need a bit more time to unscramble the meta jungle and I’ll keep you updated.

Peace